Skip to main content

My first full-day fast


Yesterday I did my first ever full day fast! It was actually longer than 24 hours because I finished dinner around 10pm on Monday and only ate breakfast this morning around 9am. Anyway, I'm sure you guys are curious as to why I chose to fast:

1) I have been eating wayyyyy too much since winter and especially over Christmas and CNY. Just felt like my body needs a bit of a break from food.

2) I was inspired by my friend who fasts 3 days every 6 months 👀. That's pretty damn insane. 

I was not crazy enough to attempt to do a 72-hour fast so just 1 day was enough :) It actually wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, maybe that's a sign that I have really been well fed recently? So once you stop eating for around 8 hours your body starts burning fat (ketosis) instead of carbs and any glycogen stores. Accompanying this is a whole host of other benefits such as removing toxins. If you're interested just do quick googling and read up widely (just make sure you don't attempt fasting if you have low blood sugar or other health problems)! 

But here's a rough breakdown of how I felt throughout the day:

10am: I felt weird not having breakfast but that was alright because I had a heavy dinner the last night

12pm: My lesson just ended and this was probably the hardest part cos my friends were eating and I was smelling their food. It definitely made me hungry. 

5pm: I had a 3hour class so honestly I was doing pretty well since my brain wasn't thinking about food at all. 

730pm: This was probably the hardest part because I felt weird while walking home (it's hard to describe, just feels very strange, I wasn't particularly hungry though). Reaching home and seeing the snacks on my dining table was very enticing, but I didn't eat anything. I remembered feeling quite tired and yawning a lot at this point.

10pm: I was occupying myself with work and chatting with my flatmate so it was still alright. I went to bed at 12am.

6am: I woke up very early this morning which is always shitty, and I definitely felt a bit light-headed when I went to the toilet. But this could also be due to the cold (it was -3C this morning my goodness) or just a lack of oxygen in my room. Anyway I managed to fall back asleep and woke up at 8+ still feeling alright. 

845am: I cooked some scrambled eggs and sipped some tea before having food. I was being conscious not to overeat or eat too quickly, so that actually made me savour my food and tea more!

 

And that's how it went. Honestly even though a lot of studies talked about the benefits to one's mind, I didn't feel a boost in my cognitive performance. I was trying to be mindful and noticed how often my brain drifted to food even though I was trying not to think about it. I guess the biggest benefit is that my taste buds and sense of smell definitely felt sharper when breaking my fast this morning. Maybe fasting really made me a little more mindful. I did feel pretty good today after having food, although other factors like the super sunny day definitely made it better too.

Would I try it again? Probably. Maybe a 2-day fast? I'm gonna take it slow though. Don't worry I won't do anything too crazy :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's wrong with being 'average'?

  Photo by Fab Lentz on Unsplash Just scroll through LinkedIn and you will see posts of 'successful' individuals receiving thousands of likes. Some overcame their financial situations and are now multi-millionaires; some overcame workplace discrimination and created their own start-up; some never received formal English lessons but are the first in their families to graduate from university. Regardless of their narrative, there is one central and consistent theme: They overcame all the odds stacked against them, worked their asses off and are now 'successful' - which unsurprisingly, seems to be only defined by 'landing a job in a famous company or matriculating into a good university'.  I'm sure you have seen such inspiring stories on the web. I used to and still find them inspirational, but they also elucidate the problems with a capitalist system: only individuals who achieved a sufficient degree of 'success' dare to come out and share their st

I became an urban farmer for 9 days

    First night in our cozy room   During these COVID times where we all itch to travel but are confined in Singapore, where better to have a staycation than in the 'rural countryside' of Lim Chu Kang? So, together with two of my friends, we stayed at Oasis Living Lab for 9 days (thankfully, with a weekend break at home). While we're nowhere near professional urban farmers, there are definitely many lessons we learnt from this short journey. So here's my take on urban farming in Singapore and why we should all start farming, or at least grow some veggies:   1) Farming connects the grower back to nature's roots Honestly, I can't remember the last time I touched soil before staying at the farm. Despite my parents growing a plethora of plants in my backyard, I rarely got involved. My life revolved too much around the Internet (which I'm certain applies to most of you too) and I looked at environmental issues through the lens of a pragmatic Singaporean: I care