Skip to main content

Returning home...

Hello everyone!

It's been a while, and I apologise for the lack of updates. You know what they say, writer's block. I guess I've just been too busy with other things in life and didn't have the inspiration to write. I hate to break the news to you, but this might be my last post in this blog for a while (more on this later). Now that I've got the hardest part out of the way, let me give you a little update of my life. 

I've finished my three years of studies in the UK, and I'm now back in Singapore indefinitely. Applying for jobs in both the UK and SG, but it's looking more and more likely that I'll be staying in SG. It's quite a strange combination of feelings: bittersweet that I'm leaving all the friends I made in the UK behind, but also happy that I get to spend more time with friends and family in SG. 

What's next? I'm hoping to start a travel blog, where I document my travels (mainly in Europe for now), but I will also dedicate a section specifically for the different parts of Singapore. Perhaps it is spending so much time away from home, but every summer when I come back to Singapore, I look at things differently. There are so many interesting things that happen on our small island, especially in the heartland areas. Let me exemplify: last August, I was walking around Circuit Road (Macpherson) with a friend after dinner and we saw a Salsa class being taught in Hokkien (because the students were mainly middle-aged/elderly). I'm pretty sure you can't find that in many other places around the world. The list goes on. But I want to document these seemingly 'boring' parts of Singapore, so that the youngsters of the future can have a glimpse of what life is like in the past. The loss of traditional practices is often considered inevitable and a 'proportionate loss' in the process of Singapore's rapid development. But through Singaporeans' sheer dedication and persistence, we have created pockets of uniquely local areas. Not all of these places necessarily create a 'community' in the traditional way we see it, but they do definitely make these areas more homely. I'll share the link when I finally stop procrastinating and get started on it!

Other than that, I want to share some observations upon returning to our little red dot. Most of them are areas we can improve in, or at least start discussing:

1) We need to slow down our insatiable appetite for construction. Construction sites for the North-South Corridor, new HDBs and MRTs are the latest works around my house. The construction for the north-south highway started before I left for uni in 2021, and it is still far from completion. I understand the importance of construction for our GDP. But we should consider the impacts of construction on the social, mental, and physical (air quality) health of our residents too. Plus the significant impact on air quality is hardly measured (or if it is, make it transparent to residents). And of course, migrant workers' rights are hardly discussed or talked about by our MPs (kudos to Louis Ng for his dedication).These are often not factored into the economic outputs of the construction sector.

2) Singapore has a far way to go to tackle racial stereotypes. One of the best things about living in London (just London, not the entire UK) is that no one judges you or makes any assumptions on where you're from. The same can't be said for Singapore. Microaggressions against minority ethnic groups are so common that I grew up thinking they were okay. But they really are not. I've experienced some microaggressions in my travels across Europe, and they made me feel extremely unwelcome. Even the way someone looks at you, to the way someone speaks, conveys the way they feel about you. It's definitely been improving, especially among the younger generation, but we should still call out others (particularly our friends and family) if they consciously or subconsciously bring up racial stereotypes.

3) The unwillingness to walk anywhere. A product of our highly efficient MRT system. And the weather. But Singaporeans would rather take a bus (or even a cab) instead of walk 5 minutes (probably less). I get that its hot. I feel hot too. But please move your legs, it's good for you. Open your eyes to the surroundings, rather than being on your phone every single minute.

4) We really need to step up our reading game. I've been keeping track of the number of people I've seen reading a book on the MRT for the past 6 weeks. Anyone wants to have a guess? It's a meagre 5. Count kids, and it's still below 10. That's shockingly low. Of course some commuters read on their phones, but that doesn't change the fact that our reading culture pales in comparison with other countries. Many bookstores have been closing over the past decade, and the latest victim is Times. Even Bras Basah Complex seems to only have 2 second-hand bookstores left. At least a few more trendy and 'chic' second-hand bookstores seem to be doing well (e.g. Books Beyond Borders, Thryft). The next time you visit a library, please borrow more books! NLB's collection is honestly so impressive, with even newly published covers. 

All that being said, it's great to be back in a city with highly functional transport systems and (generally) efficient governmental organisations. And the best part is definitely the safety of Singapore: I don't ever have to worry about my phone or bag getting stolen, and I have no qualms just leaving my phone on the table while I go to the toilet (try that in any major city in Europe, and it's gone within a minute). These things Singaporeans often take for granted. 

That about sums it up from me, it'll definitely take me some more time to get used to living back here again. I really do miss the 'wild', in the form of mountains without a soul in sight. I guess I have to plan another trip soon...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's wrong with being 'average'?

  Photo by Fab Lentz on Unsplash Just scroll through LinkedIn and you will see posts of 'successful' individuals receiving thousands of likes. Some overcame their financial situations and are now multi-millionaires; some overcame workplace discrimination and created their own start-up; some never received formal English lessons but are the first in their families to graduate from university. Regardless of their narrative, there is one central and consistent theme: They overcame all the odds stacked against them, worked their asses off and are now 'successful' - which unsurprisingly, seems to be only defined by 'landing a job in a famous company or matriculating into a good university'.  I'm sure you have seen such inspiring stories on the web. I used to and still find them inspirational, but they also elucidate the problems with a capitalist system: only individuals who achieved a sufficient degree of 'success' dare to come out and share their st

I became an urban farmer for 9 days

    First night in our cozy room   During these COVID times where we all itch to travel but are confined in Singapore, where better to have a staycation than in the 'rural countryside' of Lim Chu Kang? So, together with two of my friends, we stayed at Oasis Living Lab for 9 days (thankfully, with a weekend break at home). While we're nowhere near professional urban farmers, there are definitely many lessons we learnt from this short journey. So here's my take on urban farming in Singapore and why we should all start farming, or at least grow some veggies:   1) Farming connects the grower back to nature's roots Honestly, I can't remember the last time I touched soil before staying at the farm. Despite my parents growing a plethora of plants in my backyard, I rarely got involved. My life revolved too much around the Internet (which I'm certain applies to most of you too) and I looked at environmental issues through the lens of a pragmatic Singaporean: I care